“Buttergate” Targets 20% of Butter That Isn’t Milk Fat

——————————-

By Canadian law, butter must contain at least 80% milk fat, but more and more people are suspecting that something in the remaining 20% is causing their butter to lose its softness and spreadability at room temperature. The growing scandal, dubbed “Buttergate”, began in early February when food journalist Julie van Rosendaal mused that “something is up with our butter supply”. On 25 February, the Dairy Farmers of Canada released a statement recommending that farmers stop using palm oil fats in cattle feed, after several food researchers pointed their fingers at palmitic acid, derived from palm oil, being the most likely culprit. [CBC] [By Kevin Wang] 

——————————-

17% of the food produced each year is wasted

——————————-

Letting food go bad is increasingly becoming an increasing habit in people around the world. This practice heavily contributes to the global food waste problem. A report from the United Nations estimates that 17% of the food produced worldwide each year is wasted. That amounts to 1.03 billion tons of food. Although there was a lack of strong data from many countries, Canada was deemed among the 17 countries to have high-quality data. The report found that the average Canadian wastes 79 kg of food a year. That is more than the average American and is similar to the average person in the United Kingdom. Most of the food waste (61%) happens in households as opposed to food service and retailers which account for a smaller percentage. It is important to reduce food waste globally as food waste leads to the environmental toll of production because of the land needed to grow crops and animals and the air pollution produced along the way. [CBC] [By Anirudh Goel] 

——————————-

Electronic music pioneers Daft Punk break up after 28 years

——————————-

Thomas Bangalter and Guy-Manuel de Homem-Christo met each other at a Paris school in 1987. They officially formed Daft Punk back in 1993 with the release of their debut album, “Homework,” in 1997. They featured as a helmeted, silent and mysterious electronic duo. Their first success was the international hit “Da Funk,” which placed first on the Billboard dance charts and got them their first Grammy nomination. However, Daft Punk really took the spotlight in the 2014 Grammys by winning album of the year for “Random Access Memories.” They made history by being the first electronic act to win the honour at the Grammys. They also won record of the year that year for their hit “Get Lucky,” featuring Pharrell Williams & Nile Rodgers. After major success over 28 years including six Grammy awards and multiple international hits, the duo has called quits. [Global NEWS] [By Anirudh Goel] 

——————————-

Canadian banks, insurance firms owe $1.2B in employee vacation pay, class actions allege

——————————-

Leigh Cunningham, who used to work as an investment adviser with RBC Dominion Securities, has launched a proposed eight hundred million dollar class-action lawsuit on behalf of thousands of advisers, alleging that RBC has unfairly treated workers by failing to provide proper vacation pay. This is one of five proposed call actions against banks and insurance companies seeking a total of one point two billion dollars for vacation pay allegedly owed to current and former employees. The allegations state that employers would calculate vacation pay based only on employees’ base salaries, excluding commissions and bonuses which make up most of the employees’ compensations. Experts say that if successful, these lawsuits could open the floodgates on major employers that fail to pay employees in accordance with employment standards laws across Canada. [CBC News][By Emily Ma]

——————————-

Police ask National Guard to stay at US Capitol for 2 more months

——————————-

The Capitol has requested the US Capitol to continue to provide security at the US Capitol for another two months. The request outlines concerns regarding security and potential violence at the Capitol, two months after the Capitol riot and comes after law enforcement was on high alert after a “possible plot” by a militia group to storm the Capitol was uncovered. The potential plot is related to the conspiracy theory that Donald Trump will rise to power on March 4. Defence officials confirmed that the request is under review at the Pentagon and states are being checked for troop availability to be prepared if the request is approved. [GlobalNews][By Emily Ma]